New Zealand Maritime Index



Source: New Zealand Marine News
Reference ID:53030002
Publisher:New Zealand Ship and Marine Society
Year2005
MonthSeptember
Volume53
Number3
Page:116-126
Title: The Union Company in Napier (continued)
Author: Melhuish, John
Abstract: The first wharf at the new harbour at Napier was officially opened on 12 June 1893 when the TAVIUNI arrived to load a travelling circus and menagerie. The second wharf opened Oct 1895 but until another new wharf was opened in 1939, ships of only moderate size could berth at the breakwater harbour.
The article covers the variety of vessels calling at Napier with an emphasis on the Union Company. It also covers their offices in Napier and their involvement in commercial aviation. [ continued from Vol.53 No.2 ]
Descriptor 1: Biographies


Copyright(c) NZMM 2018 NZMI Home Page NZMM Home Page